Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:42:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Robert Shea <robert.shea@onlinecables.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: renice

> I am trying to renice common users on a 4x-STABLE machine yet i am having two
> problems:
> 1. for some reason this system lacks set/getpriority these were not removed
> from the install, and their respective man pages are
> present. Without these

Exactly how did you come to the conclusion that these are not present?
Did you change the standard C library?  I don't think a system will
work properly if these weren't there.

> renice will not change the users' settings.
> 2. how would I go about making the reniced settings stick through
> reboots?

Well, a nice setting stays with a certain process until it dies.
Obviously, when the system restarts, all processes die.  If you want
to set a default nice value for a group of users, take a look at
login.conf(5).  If you just want to renice specific processes and
trust that they won't die until another reboot, you could create a
simple shell script with a bunch of
`<find PID of process> | xargs renice 4 -p` lines and run it when the
system boots up via rc.local (or /usr/local/etc/rc.d).

Hope this helps

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for my public PGP key.

"Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so."
	-- Bertrand Russell