Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 14:22:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        shiva@yagosys.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Q] Clarification regarding RTF_PRCLONING and RTF_CLONING.

<<On Fri, 02 Jun 2000 10:44:42 -0700, Shiva Shenoy <shiva@yagosys.com> said:

> 1. What is the difference between RTF_PRCLONING and RTF_CLONING
>    I see that these 2 attributes are mutually exclusive.

One is enabled by the protocol and the other is enabled by the
interface or by a routing process.  The former was a hack perpetrated
by yours truly to make the routing table behave like a per-host
cache.  I know better now, but I haven't had the time or inclination
over the past four years to sit down and fix it.

> 2. Do ARP entries, cloned off of interface routes, get deleted
>    when an interface route is brought down or deleted?

I don't recall.  I think there was some code to support that, but I
don't know whether it was actually effective or not.

> 3. How come ARP rtentries do not have rt_parent set to the
>    interface routes that they are cloned off of? In fact they
>    are set to NULL.

Because they are created from RTF_CLONING routes and not RTF_PRCLONING
routes.  This may actually be a bug.

-GAWollman