Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 08:20:57 -0600
From:      Joe Warner <jswarner@uswest.net>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -newbies

I happen to agree with most of the points made here by
Rick and David.

Rick, do you think that all technical questions should be forbidden
from this list?  IMHO, I think a logical approach would be to allow
certain questions, depending on their scope.  For example, someone
proclaims they are new to FreeBSD and wants to know how to list
the contents of a directory.  A simple response would instruct them
to use the "ls" command and also suggest they take a look at "man ls".
I don't think there would be any risk of someone trashing their system
with the "ls" command.  All other questions, of a higher technical scope,
could be politely directed to questions.  Would this type of approach
be too difficult to manage?

I have taken this approach in the past.  If someone asks a simple question
and I'm 100% sure of the answer and am positive that my response won't
cause the person to inflict damage to their system, I answer their question
and also tell them where they can find more information.  If the question
is something like, how to configure a firewall or DNS, I kindly direct them
to -questions and may include references to related publications and/or
other resources.

Even though the thread (re: BSD Magazine (Advertiser Responses) that
I started on -newbies may have been appropriate, the length of this thread
became irritating for some and as a result, efforts were made to create a
separate list for this topic.  BTW - I plan to withhold future information I
receive, re: this subject and only post info that is a lot more substantial.

Maybe it would help if Sue's "FreeBSD Newbies First Aid Kit" was
posted more often?  Maybe regular subscribers to this list, such as
myself, could take a more active role in moderating it?  Maybe there
is a valid need for a name change for this list?  Maybe all of the
above?

It sounds like, to me, that moderating this list has become a tough job
and maybe, if a consensus was reached among the current moderators
and regular subscribers, as to the content, there could be a team effort
to make things better for everyone?

Joe

    FreeBSD = The Power to Serve
     ..Simply put = FreeBSD Rocks!