Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 18:56:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Paul Stewart <pstewart@kawartha.com>
To:        Deepwell Internet <freebsd@deepwell.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Consolidate or isolate?

Just my two cents worth... we used to run ALL services off of two servers
when we first started out in the ISP industry....now we have 26 CORE
servers running critical services... some of the decision depends on your
size....

The thing we really like about running so many servers is that if one
server happens to go down that doesn't have fault tolerance, then big
deal.... our dial-up users can still surf, our websites are still online
or whatever the case may be....

If you move to a few BIG servers with RAID5, dual fault tolerant power
supplies etc.... that's great.. but what happens if you take a box down my
mistake (software glitch whatever)... it's happened the best sys admin's
out there.... oops!  Time to reboot... while you're rebooting your whole
operation if offline or a good majority of it...

Personally, I just did this the other day... I was downing an IP address
(virtual web account) as the customer now wants Front Page extensions
which is on a seperate server... instead of downing the IP itself, I took
down the entire ethernet for that server.... dumb mistake but it
happens... however instead of taking down ALL our web customers at that
moment, I only took down about 200.... :)  If we had all web customers on
one server, then more people would have been yelling.... thankfully either
way, the server was only down for about 30-45 seconds.. but even so...

Just my two cents worth...

Paul