Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:32:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, wilko@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More followup...

Matthew Jacob writes:

 > Hmmm- it seems to me that this indicates that there's a general non-TurboLaser
 > problem here- this is on a Rawhide:
 >
 > panic: blockable sleep lock (sleep mutex) Giant @ ../../vm/vm_fault.c:213
 > cpuid = 0; panic
 > Stopped at      Debugger+0x34:  zapnot  v0,#0xf,a0      <v0=0x7,a0=0x6>
 > db> t
 > Debugger() at Debugger+0x34
 > panic() at panic+0x178
 > witness_lock() at witness_lock+0x240
 > vm_fault() at vm_fault+0x108
 > trap() at trap+0xf78
 > XentMM() at XentMM+0x2c
 > --- memory management fault (from ipl 7) ---
 > hardclock() at hardclock+0x308
 > handleclock() at handleclock+0x22c
 > alpha_clock_interrupt() at alpha_clock_interrupt+0x68
 > interrupt() at interrupt+0xb8
 > XentInt() at XentInt+0x28
 > --- interrupt (from ipl 4) ---
 > XentInt() at XentInt
 > --- interrupt (from ipl 3) ---
 > _end() at _end+0x9e58
 >
 > The 'blockable sleep lock mutex' is bogus- what is clearly broken here is
 > having a fault in hardclock.

This is different than Wilko's panic.  At least with my kernel, it
maps to this:

(gdb) l * hardclock+0x308
0xfffffc000043a608 is in hardclock (../../kern/kern_clock.c:215).
210              * Process callouts at a very low cpu priority, so we don't keep the
211              * relatively high clock interrupt priority any longer than necessary.
212              */
213             mtx_lock_spin(&callout_lock);
214             ticks++;
215             if (TAILQ_FIRST(&callwheel[ticks & callwheelmask]) != NULL) {
216                     need_softclock = 1;
217             } else if (softticks + 1 == ticks)
218                     ++softticks;
219             mtx_unlock_spin(&callout_lock);

This is well past Wilko's tlaser panic & looks like it could be a sign
of the general pmap corruption brought on by the vm_mtx fiasco....
I'll have to push a machine here hard today an see where it blows up
for me.

 > Oh- yeah- about TurboLaser? Somehow it got broken recently such that it no
 > longer even boots UP for me past CAM.
 >
 > Working on FreeBSD (alpha) is like experiencing what the character in the
 > first sentence in 100 Years of Solitude experienced. Only 3 times a week, 40
 > weeks a year.

I have to admit that I'm a literary slouch.   It certainly sounds like
a depressing novel..

Drew