Date:      Mon, 01 Nov 1999 22:25:55 -0600
From:      Russell Cattelan <cattelan@thebarn.com>
To:        "Alton, Matthew" <Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com>
Cc:        "'Andrzej Bialecki'" <abial@webgiro.com>, "'Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG'" <Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD XFS Port & BSD VFS Rewrite

"Alton, Matthew" wrote:

Hmm interesting... Guess I need to read the hackers list more often.
So anybody interested in what is going on right now?

Legal BS; The encumbrance work is progressing at an expected snails pace.
The hardest question to answer at this point; What is encumbered and what isn't!
It isn't even clear what constitutes encumbrance structures function names/api's.
Short summary to all this nobody has any clear idea as to how long before the code
can be released.

I do have a bit of good news: if anybody is truly interested in helping out with
the
project they can sign an NDA through the company that sgi has contracted to work on

the linux port. This is basically to protect SGI until the code has be officially
clean and
blessed.

Contact me directly if you are interested
cattelan@thebarn.com

Where are we at with the linux port...
Well we can mount file systems, df, ls, and read files (not a complete
implementation)
I am currently working on the write path, this one is much more complicated and
will
require addition work from other people to complete first.

There are a lot and I mean a lot of issues involved with getting xfs to interface
with
the buffer/memory management system of an OS. IRIX pulls a lot of tricks with
delayed allocation, holes, overlapping buffers, pining etc. etc.

There is a lot of discussion amongst the linux people about how to proceed with
upgrading linux's buffer/page code.

I am currently trying to keep linux specific stuff out of the bowels of XFS.
In fact one of our main goals is change a little XFS code as possible since
all current improvements / bug fixes are being done on the IRIX code base.

If people have ideas how how to keep this a "portable" file system let me know.
It is easier for me to push things in certain directions now rather than later.

> I spent an hour on the phone with SGI's lead FS scientist Dan Koren discussing
> the XFS situation, Margot Seltzer's LFS work, ships, sails, sealing wax...  The
> code is not yet open.  It is being "disencumbered" and retrofitted to the Linux
> kernel interfaces by a team of contractors and university people all under NDA.
> So we're on hold for the time being.  Unless you want to sign an NDA and move to
> Iowa for a year or so.

> We BSDies really are going to have to come up with something in the way of a
> modern storage subsystem.

Russell Cattelan
cattelan@thebarn.com