Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 1996 06:01:41 -0900 (AKST)
From:      loodvrij@gridpoint.com (Bruce J. Keeler)
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, paul@netcraft.co.uk, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, loodvrij@gridpoint.com
Subject:   Re: Patch to talkd

> The problem people have is that the tty selection is now dynamic and
> not static.  As I said in my previous mail, I make sure that all
> incoming talk requests (without the third argument) show up in one
> window that's always visible, so even if I can't hear it or not in
> front of the machine at that time, I can see it when I get back.

The request will come to the window that you most recently typed in, which
will likely as not be on top.

Anyway, I don't care much about calls that came in while I was out, as
they'll probably have gone away by then, and if they had anything important
to say they probably left email.

> Now, if I leave my machine and someone talks to me, the message will
> show up in some window that I might never get back for many days!
>
> I'm sorry, I don't think this is a good idea at all.  If the talk
> message showing up in ttyv0 is such a problem, why don't you mesg n on
> it anyway?

Because I might actually be there.  I wander around a lot.

> Satoshi

Bruce

--
Bruce J. Keeler                               Internet: loodvrij@gridpoint.com
"The thing with beating your head against a wall is that it feels so *good*