Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:11:30 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.apsfilter.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   HP PSC 2210, uscanner driver doesn't find scanner, so xsane doesnt work

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

Hi !

If I understood right, the uscanner module contains vendor IDs for
various USB devices. Unfortunately only the printer, but not the
scanner of this multifunction device (copier, printer, scanner, fax)
will be recognized.

Now I wanted to add the ID regarding to the nice information in
root@titan[ttyp0]{211} /sys/dev/usb/usbdevs.h

/*
 [...]
 * The ID should be added in usbdevs and then the files usbdevs.h and
 * usbdevs_data.h need to be regenerated.
 *
 *      # edit usbdevs
 *      make -f Makefile.usbdevs
 *      # test your change
 *      cd ../../modules/usb
 *      make
 *      # commit, if appropriate
 *      cvs -m "ID for device XYZ" commit usbdevs
 *      # commit the derived files after the $ FreeBSD $ has been updated.
 *      cvs commit usbdevs.h usbdevs_data.h
 [...]
 */

Well, but even a verbose boot doesn't show me the ID of the
scanner in the PSC 2210 ...

What now ???

Concerning the printer, it seems auto recognized by the usb driver.
But not the scanner, see complete dmesg output attached...

uhci0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xd400-0xd41f irq 5 at device 4.2 o=
n pci
0
usb0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
ulpt0: Hewlett-Packard PSC 2200 Series, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 7/1
ugen0: Syncrosoft Protected Executer, rev 1.10/1.01, addr 3
uhci1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xd000-0xd01f irq 5 at device 4.3 o=
n pci
0
        using shared irq5.
usb1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci1
usb1: USB revision 1.0
uhub1: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

FreeBSD titan.klemm.apsfilter.org 4.8-RC FreeBSD 4.8-RC #0: Tue Mar 18 00:4=
8:20 CET 2003     root@:/usr/src/sys/compile/TITAN  i386

Kernelconfig:
# USB support
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ulpt            # Printer
device          ums             # Mouse
device          uscanner        # Scanners

What now to get the beast (scanner) running ?

Best regards

	Andreas ///

--=20
Andreas Klemm