Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 16:07:12 +0200
From:      Michael Beckmann <beckmann@nacamar.net>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Parity trouble with Asus mainboard

Greetings,

I had installed 8 x 32 MB parity SIMMs in an Asus P65UP5 Rev. 2.04
mainboard with Pentium Pro card P6ND in it. The system is equipped with one
PPro 200 CPU. Unfortunately, when I install 4, 6 or 8 of these SIMMs,
FreeBSD gives me a parity error and panics directly after the copyright
notice during boot. With 2 x 32 MB, it seems to run OK.

This, however, happens only when I enable ECC in the BIOS. When I disable
ECC/parity, the system runs fine with 256 MB installed. I made world on the
latest 2.2-stable in this configuration, no problem.

I also tried the same SIMMs in a Gigabyte 586 HX board, and there I can
boot and run just fine with ECC enabled in the BIOS (it's an NT system,
though).

Any ideas ? It doesn't look to me like the SIMMs were faulty. Maybe a
problem with the parity chips ? I also exchanged the mainboard with another
one of the same type, but found the same problem.

Michael