Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 11:58:22 -0700
From:      "Kory Hamzeh" <kory@avatar.com>
To:        "Trevin Chow" <trevin@mail.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Performance tuning and adding RAM

> >Run your system for a while with softupdates off in a production mode
> >environment. If it is fairly stable and you don't have any crashes, but
> >turn on softupdates. With softupdates on, I would definitely recommend
> >having the system on a UPS.
>
> How much of a performance difference does soft updates make?

softupdates delays disk writes until the system is not so busy. My
understanding is that it is very helpful in situation where you write out
small files and temporary files. I plan to do some benchmarks tonight with
softupdates on and off and IDE write caching on and off. I'll send you the
results. If there is enough interest, I'll post it to the list.

Kory