Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2012 23:20:39 -0700
From:      Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VirtualBox: why there is no Passthrough checkbox on Storage screen?

On 10/29/2012 03:13, Yuri wrote:
> All conditions from section 23.3.3 are satisfied (atapicam is in
> kernel and device permissions are right).
> But storage screen only allows me to select some iso file to export
> into guest. Passthrough checkbox never shows up on the Storage window.
> For example, under IDE I see "IDE Primary Master", etc choices, it
> says CD/DVD Drive but never offers passthrough (checkbox always stays
> invisible).
>
> How to understand why isn't passthrough available?
>
> DVD drive is recognized by system as:
> cd0 at ata2 bus 0 scbus9 target 0 lun 0
> cd0: <PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-112D 1.21> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device

I found the reason why Host Drive wasn't shown in the CD menu of the
Storage screen.
It failed to open /dev/xpt0 and silently ignored it.
Function getDVDInfoFromCAM
src/VBox/Main/src-server/freebsd/HostHardwareFreeBSD.cpp.
Such error should not be ignored, since it causes confusion and
questions like mine.

My xpt0 has 0660 permissions as per Handbook 23.3.3:
crw-rw----  1 root  operator    0,  97 Oct 29 01:15 /dev/xpt0
But my user wasn't in the group operator.

So, no matter what permissions user and xpt0 file has, error should be
issued by VirtualBox when the file can't be opened.

Yuri