Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:29:32 -0500
From:      "Grant Peel" <grant@thenetnow.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   SCSI -RAID 5 again

Sorry all, the previous mail was sent prematurely...

Hi all,

    Over the past few weeks I have been setting up and tweaking DUMP to dump
each of my 4 main filesystems (/ /var /home /usr). Progress is going well
(currently set to do full dump 1x per week and do a level 1 each night). I
still have a couple of questions.

    First, I am dumping all 4 filesystems to /home/backup. I have the nodump
flag set for the /home/backup directory, and so for it seems to honor it for
all the files in that directory (which is what I want, so as to avois
dumping previous dumps inside that directory). My question here is, if I
read the man correctly, it SHOULD recursively not dump all files in that
directory, is this correct?

    Second, I want to add a second drive. Currently, this box only has 3
SCSI drives on a RAID 5 card. My question is, when I add the second drive
(which will be an IDE drive about 40 GIG), can I configure it to take the
dumps directly, so as to create a mirror drive. So here is what I 'want' to
happen:

Each Monday early morning: dump writes full a full backup of / to
/dev/ad0s1/
Each Monday early morning: dump writes full a full backup of /usr to
/dev/ad0s1/usr
Each Monday early morning: dump writes full a full backup of /var to
/dev/ad0s1/var
Each Monday early morning: dump writes full a full backup of /home to
/dev/ad0s1/home

Then, at early morning of all other days, incremental backups (changed files
only) are written to the correct destination directories on the second
drive.

In effect, I want to create a mirror, will this work, and would the command
lines (in cron) look like:

dump -0u -h0 -f /dev/ad0s1 /
dump -0u -h0 -f /dev/ad0s1/var /var
dump -0u -h0 -f /dev/ad0s1/usr /usr
dump -0u -h0 -f /dev/ad0s1/home /home

An the last question is, if I want to make the second drive bootable (in the
event the raid system dies), do I need to load (from scratch) the OS
(FreeBSD 4.4) on the new drive first, or, just partition and disklabel it
creating the needed filesystems?

TIA,

-Grant