Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 1997 21:58:45 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Andrew Reilly <reilly@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: snd970903.tgz and pnp970903.tgz

Andrew Reilly scribbled this message on Sep 4:
> Hi Luigi,
>
> Sorry to be a bother, but I think you probably know more about this
> than most by now.
>
> On  3 Sep, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> >     * fixed SB16 PnP operation, now works in 8 and 16bit, both
> >       capture and playback;
> >
> > not recognised/not working (although the SB16 driver still needs
> > refinements in order to support full duplex operation).
>
> I haven't bought a sound card yet because I want to be sure that I can
> do full-duplex, full bandwidth (48kHz preferably, 44.1kHz is OK) signal
> processing.  All I've heard about the SB16 (and by extension the SB32,
> AWE32, and AWE64) says that the closest it comes to full-duplex is 16
> bits out/8 bits in.  Is that the case?
>
> Are there any inexpensive sound cards with good AD/DA quality that can
> do full duplex 16-bit?

well...  the CS4237b that I have works well.. I haven't gotten full
duplex to work yet, but I think that is more of a problem with the
isa.c version that I have and not the card...  these cards are REALLY
inexpensive... I can sell them for $25/each + shipping...  (of course
we would have to deal with export costs, etc.)

right now I have it reliably doing 44k/16bit output.. I just haven't
had any uses for record quite yet...  I will be getting a couple more
of these cards soon, and we will be exensivly using the full duplex
mode..  so in a couple weeks I'll have more news for you...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD