Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 08:04:15 -0600
From:      "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@visi.com>
To:        <tnt@home.se>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Typical space to build 2.2-STABLE?

My firewall is the 2.2.8 machine (486-100) and my main machine is dual-boot
(Win98 and FreeBSD 3.0).  My wife's is a Win95 166MMX.  I would like to
upgrade the 2.2.8 machine, which only has a combined total of 660MB (220MB
(/,/usr/local/,/var) + 440MB(/usr)).  I would like the machine upgraded to
the latest 2.2-STABLE with everything I need before the ports get to far
gone and just to keep it up to date.

I have considered putting 3.0 on the machine, but I think the ELF binaries
are bigger and the machine is already hurting for space.  I suppose I could
compile the entire system on NFS too.  What kind of performance hit would I
take on the network or on the firewall machine?

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@visi.com