Date:      Fri, 06 Apr 2001 14:33:10 -0400
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: corporate announcement

Brett Glass wrote:

> At 12:26 PM 4/5/2001, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
>
> >The first conference left me a mixed taste: on one hand, it seems like
> >WR bought BSDi specifically for FreeBSD, OTOH it seems like they are
> >only interested in complementing their existing technologies with
> >FreeBSD, not really opening their other stuff. I dunno, I guess I'll
> >take a look at the second conference for hints on what will happen.
>
> My personal take was that Wind River was interested in BSDi's
> embedded BSD technology rather than FreeBSD. FreeBSD merely makes
> it more likely that the BSD technology as a whole will continue to
> advance.

Well the conferences and PRs have mentioned FreeBSD much ore than
BSD/OS. They surely have products than cn be compared to the embedded
BSDi, but the could've just licensed them and use the FreeBSD code
like everyone else does.

> >One thing I do wonder is if FreeBSD will target the embedded and
> >realtime markets in a near future.
>
> It wouldn't be to Wind River's advantage to push a free alternative
> to its own products. But it can't stop FreeBSD from being suitable
> for that purpose.

There is an interesting idea on www.lwn.net; perhaps they want simply
to be able to compete with embedded linux, maintaining the marketshare
is always a good choice. While it might not be good for them to make
FreeBSD the perfect embeddable RT OS, it would be advantageous for
them to have something better than Linux.

Of course, what ever we talk here is mere especulation.

cheers,

    Pedro.