Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 1996 15:03:54 +0200
From:      Marco Masotti <mc7953@mclink.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mc7953@mclink.it
Subject:   PPP dial up intfc's don't work as a distant gateways with Rip.

I'm tryng to a attach my Lan to an existing intranet using, as a router,
a ppp dialup connection.

I would like to give all the hosts on the Lan access to the outer
network altogether, and, as a start, I've choosen to run Rip.

The ppp router is the standard FreeBSD user implementation, connecting
to a SunOS pppd 2.1.2 - but that's just coincidental and I think it
doesn't concern my problem.

In order to allow the external routes to be passed on through the ppp
link and viceversa, I'd have to inform rip running on my Lan about the
existence of a distant gateway, located on the other endpoint of my ppp
connection, ppp0 interface.

Also, in a similar vein, the Rip on the intranet has to know about the
routes to my Lan through a distant gateway located on the FreeBSD, tun0
interface.

So I have to write the relevant entries in the two /etc/gateways file on
the two router machines.

MY PROBLEM:
-----------
The distant gateways set in the /etc/gateways of both machines, don't
seem to work - I mean the proper routes are not installed. That happens
even if I set the passive option in the /etc/gateways files.
This situation changes only if, while the ppp connection has been winded
up and the endpoints are talking each other, I kill and restart the
routed processes on both machine. In fact only then the distant gateways
are aknowledeged and Rip does its work.
Needless to say that, at the first reboot of one or of both machines,
the problem arises again.

MY SUSPECT:

The distant gateways can't be inserted in the Rip routing table, because
they reside onto a dialup interface (tun0 and ppp0 respectively), that
does not actually "exist" until the link is up and operational.

But if that true, what's the solution? Maybe, especially when using
dialup interfaces, installing gated instead of routed ?

Thank you, and sorry for my long story.

Marco