Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 1997 01:38:31 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@mailhost.coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, core@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: Iomega SCSI Zip Drive

#define quoting(Peter Dufault)
// > >In the long run, i would see all removable disks go to `od'.  We could
// > >then continue to improve the `sd' driver for fixed media devices.
// >
// > `od' is an odd name for a removable scsi disk driver.
//
// "od" should be the type-specific driver for a SCSI device that
// claims to be an "optical memory device".  The optical memory device
// has specific behavior defined for some commands in the SCSI-II
// spec.  Being "od" need not require removable media (granted I don't
// see the advantage of a fixed "od").

So what we need is (better) support for removable media in "sd" ?

Maybe a simple flag to identify removable devices and change
the behaviour ?

For those who didn't receive my message about it, the "sd" driver
gives lot's of warnings (media change, not ready, etc) with my ZIP drive.
But the worst problem was a drop into the debugger ("sdopen: no slices")
when I changed disks.  With "od", I have no more problems.

Note that the drop to debugger is nasty when you are in X: you cant
"cont" the system.

This week we'll try the "od" driver also with the ppa (Parallel Port
SCSI) driver.  Results will be sent to freebsd-scsi.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698 ( Job )			jonny@cisi.coppe.ufrj.br