Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2018 08:49:08 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Jukka Ukkonen <jau789@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-mips@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mips@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Has anyone tried the MIPS port on old SGI tower case systems like Octeon?

There's a lot of work to support these devices, and there's not a lot of
reward for it. The R10000, R12000 and R14000 CPUs all have TLB issues which
force specialized trap handlers that are somewhat tricky to get right. It's
a lot of work to get working and keep working for systems that are as fast
as a Pentium III, but harder to get parts for...  There's no developers
that has one in service, so while it would be nice if we ran on this cool,
historically important MIPS flavor, the benefits haven't been there in the
past, and are only less likely to be there in the future.

Warner