Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 1996 08:37:34 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        newton@communica.com.au (Mark Newton)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith), imp@village.org, batie@agora.rdrop.com, adam@homeport.org, pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BoS: Exploit for sendmail smtpd bug (ver. 8.7-8.8.2).

In message <9611180435.AA17191@communica.com.au>, Mark Newton writes:
>port 25 as a daemon is because of the rather UNIX-centric view that TCP/IP
>ports less than 1024 can only be allocated by a privileged user.  TCP/IP
>implementations on non-UNIX platforms disagree violently with this
>assumption, which makes the value of this "security" feature rather dubious.

Well, it's on the standard, so I wouldn't call it UNIX-centric.

I also think you have not quite grasped this feature at all.  What you
can use if for is this:

	IFF i trust this machine AND the port is < 1024 THEN
		I know that I'm dealing with something the
		administrator setup.
	ELSE
		God knows.

If you don't trust the machine, and you shouldn't unless you know how
it's administrated, the port# is meaningless.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.