Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 07:38:38 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Increasing disk cache

>At 10:27 AM 11/18/99 -0500, Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> No.  Actually, that was taken 1hr after doing a make world and reboot.
>>
>>What does it look like now?
>
>Much better now it seems.
>
>Mem: 20M Active, 135M Inact, 16M Wired, 10M Cache, 8349K Buf, 5516K Free
>Swap: 512M Total, 512M Free
>
>Is the "Inact" figure actually used as disk cache then ?

   Yes, all of active, inact, and cache can contain cached file pages. These
are just different page queues and don't indicate the nature of the pages
on them (unfortunately - makes figuring out what's going on difficult).

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.