Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:59:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?P=E5l_Sommerhein?= <paalsom@ifi.uio.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need advice on what motherboard to pick (and SCSI controller + drive)

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Pål Sommerhein wrote:

> I have been thinking of buying either an ASUS or SuperMicro motherboard
> (using a PII-350MHz CPU). In particular:
>
> Asus P2B-DS
> -----------
>         Pentium II, 233 - 450 MHz, 440BX chipset, 100MHz frontbus,
>         DIMM sockets EDO/SDRAM RAM, Ultra DMA/33 controller, 2xUSB,
>         WakeOnLan(WOL), LM780 chip, Award Flash BIOS, Slot One
>
> 	1xAGP, 4xPCI, 2xISA, 4xDIMM, Dual Pentium-II, ATX-Design
> 	Integrated onboard AIC-7890 U2W Ultra 2 SCSI controller.
>
> SuperMicro P6DBS
> ----------------
> 	Pentium II, 233-400MHz, 440BX chipset, 1xAGP, 4xPCI,
> 	3xISA, EDO/SDRAM RAM, Ultra DMA/33 controller, 2xUSB,
> 	Wake On Lan(WOL), LM780 chip, Award Flash BIOS,
> 	Slot One, ATX-Design.
> 	4xDIMM sockets, integrated onboard AIC-7895 Dual Channel
> 	Ultra Wide SCSI controller.
>
> Any pros/cons?

Definitely go for the 100MHz FSB.  ASUS is a more popular brand than
SuperMicro.

> Should I go for an onboard SCSI controller(host adapter)?

Your call, depends on how many devices you plan to stuff in there.  having
it onboard saves a slot but limits your upgradability.

> Are harddisks from IBM ok?

They're great.

> I was thinking of:
>    IBM SCSI UltraStar 9ES 4,5GB DDRS-34560W,
>                           7.5ms, 512kB, 7200 rpm, UW-SCSI

Great drive, have one and love it.

> Any suggestions on graphics card?

ATI gear is pretty hot.  Depends on what you're planning on doing with it
(games or just X?)

> What about CD-rewritable CD-roms?
> (like Philips CDR3600, CD-Rewritable, Internal SCSI,
>                        2x write CD-R, 2x CD-RW, 6x read. )

SCSI is good.

Doug White