Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 20:05:32 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>, Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, crypt0genic <crypt0genic@ecad.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

> :	Good point but I think it's like how much of 100Mhz a 100BaseTX
> :can push.  If it pushes 100%, then it might be wise to have a little more
> :room for overhead.  Kinda like a car, better to have reserve power when
> :you need it then pushing it to the max.  In regards to 1000BaseT, I
> :thought there was no standards for that yet, atleast all the Gigabit stuff
> :is all fiber and not copper.  Quality of cable does matter, atleast in
> :high-end audio/video it does and I'm sure data would be more picky than
> :human ears.
> :
> :
> :Cheers,
> :Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
> :Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
>
>     The copper gigabit standard isn't out yet, but I was under the impression
>     that they were pretty close.
>
>     In regards to audio/video verses ethernet, you have to remember that
>     audio and video are *analog*, not digital.  The cable quality matters
>     for analog, but it only needs to be "good enough" for digital.  If you
>     don't get any bit errors (and you shouldn't) then a better cable is not
>     going to make a difference.

One of the big deals with the different grades of cable is the degree of
crosstalk between the transmit and receive pairs in the cable sheath.
When you're talking about Category-3 or Category-5 cable systems, this
INCLUDES the connectors, patch panels, cross-connect blocks and cross-connect
cables.

For instance, you have to work pretty hard to do better than 10Base-T
with a Category-3 wiring system if you have type 66 punch blocks
because of the impedence bump and crosstalk issues.  Same sort of things
apply at 100base-T and Category-5 cable systems.  Using gold-plated
"Monster Cable" is just pissing away money of the other components are
also up to the same level of "quality"  (har, har).

And, as Matt said, if you're not getting CRC errors then it's good
enough, and there's no point spending money to get better wire.

louie
(who uses #12 ROMEX cable for speaker wire.)