Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 1995 14:00:49 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= aka "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crypt code summary(2).

<<On Mon, 26 Jun 1995 20:42:18 +0400 (MSD), =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= aka "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su> said:

> and in software at 87 Mbps.  These rates cannot support current IP
> rates, e.g., 100 Mbps TCP and 130 Mbps UDP over ATM.

As I said, this is simply NOT A PROBLEM for us, and those groups that
think it is a problem are free to create their own mechanism using a
different authentication method.

> 1) SSLref SSL implementation (Netscape)
> uses RSAREF, you don't need PKP license for it.

Which I would be STRONGLY opposed to having in the source tree.

> 2) SSLay SSL implementation (from E.Y.)
> uses its own RSA routines, not know about license here.

It's not RSAREF, therefore we can't distribute it in the US without a
license.  (Unless distributors want to get sued; I don't.)

> 3) Outside USA exists RSAEURO, which is compatible
> with RSAREF and made in Europe.

It's not RSAREF, therefore we can't distribute it in the US without a
license.  (Unless distributors want to get sued; I don't.)

I don't seem to be getting through here.  We have an elaborate
mechanism for dealing with this sort of problem in the ports
collection.  The base source tree is too big as it is.  You're
proposing to bloat it even further to include something which belongs
in ports if anywhere at all.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.