Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 11:37:47 GMT
From:      jm@pluriproj.pt (Jose' Monteiro)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems using Barracuda disk in a dedicated FBSD Server

I'm setting a dedicated FreeBSD Server.

My box is a P2 with a Barracuda HD (ST34371W) controlled by an Adaptec
Ultra Wide SCSI (AHA-2940).

I started creating a single FreeBSD partition. After the FreeBSD, i
got a "Read Error" message when booting from the HD.

After inumerous trials to get the OS booting fro the HD, i tried to
create a small dos partition and the rest of the disk with a FreeBSD
partition plus Booteasy, and it worked!

But this is not what I want, I want to use ALL the disk for FreeBSD
and no BootEasy.

I already tried to tweak the HD geometry in Fdisk, but fdisk tells me
that it can't accept a phisical geometry (whick i took from the HD
booklet). It needs the SCSI translated geometry.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Jose' Monteiro
*---------Jose Monteiro <jm@pluriproj.pt>---------*
|Pluriproj Lda.- Redes e Sistemas de Comunicacoes |
|Agente IP em Leiria   -  http://www.pluriproj.pt |
|Tel: +351 44 829980   -  Fax: +351 44 829981     |
|PGP Keys: www.pluriproj.pt/~admin/keys.html      |
|Fingerprints: X Headers                          |