Date:      Wed, 02 Feb 2000 21:53:30 +0000
From:      Ron Smith <ronnet@mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ronnet@mediaone.net
Subject:   Install Process

Hi all,

I'm looking for help in regards to completing a successful clean install
of FreeBSD 3.4 from the Walnut Creek CDs. I'm having a little
difficulty, which I hope you folks can help me clear up. Here's what
happened:

1)  On an WinNT box, I created two boot floppies by launching VIEW.EXE
and running Makeflp.bat.
2)  I used these floppies, along with the CD set, to do the install on
another machine.
3)  Both floppies work fine.
4)  I get to the 'stand/sysinstall Main Menu' screen.
5)  I select 'Novice'.
6)  I get to the 'FDISK Partitioning Editor'.
7)  I select "A" 'Use Entire Disk', then "Q" 'Finish'.
8)  I'm taken to 'Install Boot Manager for drive wd0?'. I select 'OK'.
9)  I'm taken to 'FreeBSD Disklabel Editor'. I select "A" 'Auto defaults
for all!', then "Q" 'Finish'.
10) I'm taken to 'Choose Distributions'. I select "All", then 'OK'.
11) I get the following message: 'Installation completed with some
errors'.
12) I used the scroll-lock mode to view the errors.
13) The errors are as follows:

ed0 not found at 0x280
fe0 not found at 0x300
psm0 not found
atapi0.1: unknown phase
atapi0.1: unknown phase
atapi0.1: unknown phase
atapi0.1: unknown phase
atapi0.1: unknown phase
wdc1 not found at 0x170
wt0 not found at 0x300
mcd0 not found at 0x300
matcdc0 not found at 0x230
scd0 not found at 0x230
ppc0 not found
ie0: unknown board_id:f000
ie0 not found at 0x300
ep0 not found at 0x300
ex0 not found
le0 not found at 0x300
lnc0 not found at 0x280
cs0 not found at 0x300
ze0 not found at 0x300
zp0 not found at 0x300
adv0 not found at 0x330
bt0 not found at 0x134
aha0 not found at 0x134
aic0 not found

14) I went back to check 'Table 2-3. Hardware supported by FreeBSD', on
page 24 of "The Complete FreeBSD - 3rd Edition" book by: Greg Lehey.

And, here is where the confusion insues. Am I to change any settings
using 'UserConfig'? I got 13 conflicts in 'UserConfig'. Also, I have a
suspicion that the CD-ROM drive is *not* being recognized, because
nothing happens after the diskettes have done their thing. The CD-ROM is
not on the supported hardware list. It's an "Acer" CD-ROM drive. Yeah,
this is a pretty old machine (built about 5 years ago). Do you have any
suggestions for me?

Thanks,
Ron Smith