Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 17:39:48 -0600
From:      Jeffrey Dunitz <orpheus@lemieux.hockey.net>
To:        Gerry Marcelo <germar@pair.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 crashes after install-newbie needs help

On Thu, Dec 24, 1998 at 03:13:05PM -0600, Gerry Marcelo said something like:
> Happy holidays!
> Please help a newbie keep his x-windows installation from crashing...
> Symptoms and known technical information is below.
> Sorry in advance for the length of this message.

I've whacked out several chunks of stuff. I commented some stuff in
your config file, things I think might help.

> The OS... FreeBSD 2.2.8 from the CD-ROM
> Attempting to install XFree86, the version that shipped with Walnut Creek's
> CD ROM set.
>
> The machine...
>
> i486 DX50
> 20 megs ram
> SIIG Fast EIDE Controller
> 2 gig EIDE Maxtor Hard drive
> TEAC CD-56 4x CD-ROM ATAPI

That's quite reasonable...

> The video card...
> Trident 8900Dz Video Card, with 1meg ram
> This card is in the card database, and that data is used in the setup.
> The documentation for the card has the following information:

These cards used to be popular, so you should be OK there, too.

> 460X480  with 16,256, 64K colors
> 768X1024 with  16-I
> 800X600 16,256, 32K
> 1024X 768 16-I/IN, 256-I/IN
> All modes non-interlaced except where indicated by an "I"
>
> The monitor...
> Ambra Monitor BMS 3500 15 UVGA FST Monitor
> This card is not mentioned in any of the databases I have been able to find,
> but I do have the following information:
>
> 640X480 NI 60-70
> 800X600 NI 56hz
> 800X600 NI 72hz
> 1024X768 I 87hz
> 1024X768 NO 60-70hz
>
> The XFree86 configuration file is appended below.
> Sorry for wasting the bandwith sending this big file, but I figured the file
> was important for diagnosing the problem.
>
> SYMPTOM:
> After going through set up (XF86Config), I run "startX" . (No reboot after
> setup)
> Then the following happens very quickly:
> 1.  Some text flies up across the screen, mostly a list of modes that end
> with "Deleted."
> 2.  Then the screen goes black....much hard drive activity...
> 3.  Several tiny white dots appear on the black screen.
> 4.  Flips back to text mode, showing the trailing end of the list of deleted
> SVGA modes.
>
> Here is the config file in it's entirety:

I'm going to cut some of it out...

> # File generated by xf86config.
>
> # **********************************************************************
>
> Section "Files"
>
> # The location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
> # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
> # no need to change the default.
>
>     RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
>
> # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated together),
> # as well as specifying multiple comma-separated entries in one FontPath
> # command (or a combination of both methods)
> #
> # If you don't have a floating point coprocessor and emacs, Mosaic or other

> Section "Monitor"
>
>     Identifier  "Real Ambra"
>     VendorName  "Ambra"
>     ModelName   "BMS 3500"
>
> # HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
> # HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
> # comma separated list of ranges of values.
> # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
> # USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.
>
>     HorizSync   31.5 - 48.5

I'm not sure that monitor you've got is a multisync, is it?
Why not try putting a single number here, rather than a range.

> #    HorizSync 30-64         # multisync
> #    HorizSync 31.5, 35.2    # multiple fixed sync frequencies
> #    HorizSync 15-25, 30-50  # multiple ranges of sync frequencies
>
> # VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
> # VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
> # comma separated list of ranges of values.
> # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
> # USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.
>
>     VertRefresh 50-90

Same here--put just a single number for vertrefresh

> # Modes can be specified in two formats.  A compact one-line format, or
> # a multi-line format.
>
> # These two are equivalent
>
> #    ModeLine "1024x768i" 45 1024 1048 1208 1264 768 776 784 817 Interlace
>
> #    Mode "1024x768i"
> #        DotClock 45
> #        HTimings 1024 1048 1208 1264
> #        VTimings 768 776 784 817
> #        Flags  "Interlace"
> #    EndMode
>
> # This is a set of standard mode timings. Modes that are out of monitor spec
> # are automatically deleted by the server (provided the HorizSync and
> # VertRefresh lines are correct), so there's no immediate need to
> # delete mode timings (unless particular mode timings don't work on your
> # monitor). With these modes, the best standard mode that your monitor
> # and video card can support for a given resolution is automatically
> # used.

All the modelines and stuff deleted to save space

> # **********************************************************************
> # Graphics device section
> # **********************************************************************
>
> # Any number of graphics device sections may be present
>
> # Standard VGA Device:
>
> Section "Device"
     (more stuff deleted)
> EndSection
>
> # Sample Device for accelerated server:
>

> # Device configured by xf86config:
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "Trident"
>     VendorName  "Trident"
>     BoardName   "8900Dz"
>     #VideoRam    1024
>     Clocks  25.31  28.32  45.36  36.16  57.86  65.75  50.63  40.38
>     Clocks  88.42  98.86 119.37 109.16  72.33  77.61  80.77  75.94
> EndSection

I think that looks pretty OK...

> # **********************************************************************
> # Screen sections
> # **********************************************************************
>
> # The Colour SVGA server
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Driver      "svga"
>     # Use Device "Generic VGA" for Standard VGA 320x200x256
>     #Device      "Generic VGA"
>     Device      "Trident"
>     Monitor     "Real Ambra"
>     Subsection "Display"
>         Depth       8
>         # Omit the Modes line for the "Generic VGA" device
>         Modes       "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"
>         ViewPort    0 0
>         # Use Virtual 320 200 for Generic VGA
>     EndSubsection
>     Subsection "Display"
>         Depth       16
>         Modes       "640x480" "800x600"
>         ViewPort    0 0
>     EndSubsection
>     Subsection "Display"
>         Depth       24
>         Modes       "640x480"
>         ViewPort    0 0
>     EndSubsection

Cut from HERE....

>     Subsection "Display"
>         Depth       32
>         Modes       "640x400"
>         ViewPort    0 0
>     EndSubsection
> EndSection

to HERE. The 640x400 thing might be screwing you up. I know that it's caused
me problems before, and when I removed it, everything worked. Try cutting this
first, before changing the numbers at the top of the file.