Date:      Thu, 01 Apr 1999 14:22:44 -0500
From:      Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make release and chroot... writing to a directory outside of the root

Right now, I have a server with 1GB of RAM doing a make release for me, where
99% of it will occur in memory. What I'd _LIKE_ to do is have the "R"
directory of the release really be a physical media, so, should a machine
errantly reboot after a build, at least I have the finished work on disk.

Originally, I had the "R" directory as a symbolic link to a path I wanted it
stored in. Unfortunately, it appears that make world not only deletes it, but
also chroot()s at some point, so the link is invalid anyhow.

What I was thinking was to use a vn device to mount a file as a filesystem
under R. I wanted to a) Make sure that'd work, and b.) Get any pointers in to
the release make file so it wouldn't get deleted and recreated...
	-Brian