Date:      Wed, 16 May 2012 08:45:04 +0200
From:      Ilya Bakulin <webmaster@kibab.com>
To:        tzabal@it.teithe.gr
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GSoC Project: Automated Kernel Crash Reporting System - Discussion

--------------enig5229D14324EBB1C89B86CA14

On 15.05.12 23:30, tzabal@it.teithe.gr wrote:
> Hello Community,
>
> I have the project "Automated Kernel Crash Reporting System" for this
> GSoC and I would like to discuss my plans about it before starting the
> coding on May 21.

> * Can you recommend a secure way of sending a report from a FreeBSD
> system to the Central Collector machine?

You can use scp(1) and ship a SSH public key with your software. The
target server must be configured to disable PTY allocation for this key,
so only SCP/SFTP transfer will be possible.
> * Which data do you want kcrashreporter to collect? At the moment I
> have considered the panic message, the backtrace, the version level of
> the release, the hardware platform (uname -vm) and the configuration
> file of the panicked kernel (config -x `sysctl -n kern.bootfile`).
Collecting the list of loaded modules (kldstat) is also nessesary :-)
> * Do you propose a different Web Server than the Apache HTTP Server?
> For example, on my initial planning I had included MySQL as the
> selected DBMS and after some discussions I changed to PostgreSQL.
As far as I remember, you're going to use PHP as a programming language?
In this case Apache is a good choice. I would however recommend using
www/nginx and PHP in FastCGI mode (FPM option in lang/php5 port). This
is a preffered setup for almost all Russian highloaded websites.
At the beginning using Apache is a reasonable choice.

--=20
Regards,
Ilya Bakulin
http://kibab.com