Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:12:27 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        webmaster@wmptl.com, bwoods2@uswest.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer Thinkpads

gaurdian gaurdian wrote:

> So what:
>
> 1) They have no obligation to support FreeBSD.

Obligation? No. However, the market can and should punish
vendors who sell hardware that's not compatible with industry
standards and widely used software.

> 2) If you dont like it, dont buy their Laptops...
>    I for one, have no issues with them.

Don't worry; I won't buy an IBM laptop ever again. My 760E
has had many, many problems -- including many that make
it unusable even with Microsoft Windows. And I won't even
get into how awful their service is if your laptop ever
fails.

> 3) I have FreeBSD running fine on my Thinkpad 600E
>    and have had it there for the last year.

As I recall, the 600E's modem doesn't work with FreeBSD, and
power management doesn't work.

At 10:48 AM 11/29/2000, Nathan Vidican wrote:

>I too have a NEWER IBM Thinkpad, and was truly disapointed; not by the
>fact that IBM doesn't support FreeBSD - that part was assumed... but
>rather by the fact that IBM made the bios incompatable with any type 165
>partitions on a disk. Thus rendering the newer (Thinkpad A20M-series; eg
>my 2428U) laptops incapable of running FreeBSD. When asked about some
>sort of bios patch to disable the suspend/resume function's usage of
>type 165; IBM just replies 'we don't support using freebsd on these
>machines; but we do now support using caldera's eDesktop 2.4 on them'.
>So I went with Slackware 7.1 just for the record. If anyone does find a
>way to run FreeBSD on something other than type 165 partitions I'd love
>to hear about it.

If the problem is purely the integer assigned as the partition type, why
not patch the code to allow an alternate number? Also, do any of the other
BSDs happen to use a different number?

--Brett