Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 17:59:04 +0000
From:      Tom Hukins <tom@eborcom.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problems with p5-* ports

I've installed and upgraded a few ports of Perl modules recently,
and noticed a few problems.

Most of the p5-* modules use BUILD_DEPENDS to specify other modules
which they depend on. However, most of these dependencies are more
similar to LIB_DEPENDS. For example, p5-libwww has p5-MD5, p5-Net,
p5-MIME-Base64 and p5-HTML-Parser listed under BUILD_DEPENDS.
Uninstalling any of these dependencies would cause p5-libwww to
cease functioning.

So, why are these modules not moved to LIB_DEPENDS? Well, running
"perl Makefile.PL" checks that required modules are already
installed. This is usually done in a custom "do-configure:" section
of each port's Makefile. The "configure" target fails if
BUILD_DEPENDS is not used.

A further problem exists when modules are not installed where the
ports system expects. I installed Perl and several modules from the
ports system, yet some modules in BUILD_DEPENDS are not found. The
problem is that modules can either be installed under a variety of
places within lib/perl5/site_perl.

Here is my proposal: We add a PERL5_DEPENDS variable. Sure, this
makes bsd.port.mk even bigger, but I count 95 p5-* ports in
/usr/ports/INDEX and 137 ports involve p5-* ports in some way,
possibly as dependencies. PERL5_DEPENDS would run "perl -M$module"
for each item in PERL5_DEPENDS, where $module is the module's name,
eg. Net::FTP, LWP::UserAgent, or whatever.

Also, a PERL5_MODULE variable should be added. If this is defined,
then "do-configure:" would call "perl Makefile.PL", as most p5-*
modules do. This variable would also set "USE_PERL5= YES".

Comments are welcome. If this is deemed a good idea, I'd be happy to
clean up the ports tree, although I'm not a committer, so that might
cause problems.

Tom