Date:      28 Oct 1999 14:32:30 -0400
From:      Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
To:        "Ryan Troy" <rtroy@springsips.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Seagate Travan Tape Drive Support

"Ryan Troy" <rtroy@springsips.com> writes:

> I got a 4gig Seagate Travan IDE ATAPI tape drive recently I am running
> FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE it detects it on boot as wdc1 the IDE channel its on
> so I compiled the kernel with this option:
>
> device          wst0            #Tape Drive
>
> Like it said in the LINT file, so then on reboot I get:
>
> wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
> wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <Seagate STT8000A/5.44>, removable, accel, dma, iordis
> wst0: Drive empty, readonly, reverse, qfa, ecc, 512b
> wst0: Max speed=600Kb/s, Transfer limit=52 blocks, Buffer size=728 blocks
>
> Then I goto /dev/ there is no entry for it ./MAKEDEV wont make the entry
> is this tape drive compatible with FreeBSD 3.3? or am i missing a step?

$ grep wst /dev/MAKEDEV
        sh MAKEDEV ft0 sa0 wt0 wst0                     # bdev, tape
wst*)
                mknod rwst${unit} c $chr `expr $unit '*' 8 + 0`
                chgrp operator rwst${unit}
                chmod 640 rwst${unit}

Your MAKEDEV is old.  /dev/MAKEDEV does not get reinstalled with make
world.  See /usr/ports/sysutils/mergemaster for an easy way to get
your /etc and /dev things up to date.
--
Kevin Street
street@iname.com