Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:13:52 -0600
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "CARA" <fry@hhs.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: questions about network connections

----- Original Message -----
From: "CARA" <fry@hhs.net>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2000 6:30 PM
Subject: questions about network connections

Something has been racking at my brain for quite a while now. I have a 3com
3c509 network card on 1 machine which is on a small network with 3 other
machines. The network card comes up without a problem but when I try to ping
other machines it will happily send out pings but will not receive a reply.
it willl telnet or ssh itself by loopback and by its own network card, I
have not blocked any ports nor have I setup any type of a firewall. I am
running version 4.0
I'm not sure whether it makes any difference or not but it didnt work right
after the install nor did it work after recompiling the kernel. Any help
would be greatly appreciated,
Matt

 I think the output of dmesg would be helpful, and maybe even the output of
ifconfig ep0.  Without some more info it is hard to say what the problem is,
but I have had 3c509s in the past try to share irqs with other devices in
the system.  The results have always been a little odd...they would work for
a while and then stop, and all sorts of other random weirdness.

Josh