Date:      Sun, 4 May 97 08:20:08 -0400
From:      cr@jcmax.com (Cyrus Rahman)
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Worm driver

> > Which version of FreeBSD are you using?
> >

> -current , cvsupped and built yesterday ( may 3rd)

I've had the same problem with 3.0-current with the HP 6020i.

> You need to do a little debugging here.  Turn on options SCSIDEBUG,
> then actually enable debugging for the CD-R with
>
>         scsi -f /dev/rworm0.ctl -d <somenumber>
>
> where <somenumber> is something unintelligible for me :), but values
> of 0x3f or 0x7f yield about the information we want.  Try to figure
> out which command fails at the second open.

The problem occurs before the actual 'open' in worm_open, when
scsi_test_unit_ready() is called; the test fails and returns ENXIO.
Thus, for example, after opening the device once the command:

	wormcontrol junk

returns:

	wormcontrol: open(/dev/rworm0): Device not configured

even though it calls open() with O_NONBLOCK.

I haven't figured out why scsi_test_unit_ready() fails until you open and
close the carriage again.

The driver does work correctly with the HP 6020i in all other observed ways,
but you can't check a disk you burn till you eject it and put it back in.

Cyrus