Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 19:50:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Bruce M. Walker" <bmw@borderware.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: need help filter this stupid virus. Sendmail didnt stop this.

Gah!  Bad form to reply to my own msg, but I gave bad advice...

Bruce M. Walker wrote:

> This syntax is supposed to match mail-header From: (or To:) lines...
>
>   From:spammer@some.dom   REJECT
>   To:friend.domain        RELAY

I'm way wrong!  That just makes the match *specific* to envelope-from
or -to, not internal mail headers.

To add header checks in sendmail, see section "Header Checks" in
/usr/share/sendmail/cf/README.  It would look like this:

        LOCAL_RULESETS
        HFrom: $>CheckFrom

        SCheckFrom
        R< hahaha @ sexyfun . net >     $#error $: 550 No spam.
        R$*                             $@ OK

(This is untested!)

That's why most people are using Procmail to handle these cases.

Here's a hint: install Postfix in place of sendmail.  You'll find
the header-checks capability is extensive.  Stopping this virus is
pretty trivial.

-bmw