Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 19:04:50 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Two versions of malloc()?

Looking at some kernel source I found malloc() called with 3 args.
A search revaled this in /usr/include/sys/malloc.h:

void    *malloc __P((unsigned long size, struct malloc_type *type, int flags));

but the manpage, and all versions of malloc I've seen, are simply:

void    *malloc __P((size_t));

This is how it's declared in /usr/include/stdlib.h.

What is the difference and why does the kernel use the former?

--
STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.