Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 01:59:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        shigio@wafu.netgate.net (Shigio Yamaguchi)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, shigio@wafu.netgate.net
Subject:   Re: htags fails.

> It seems that /usr/bin/perl leaks memory.
> Here is a workaround.
>
> # cd /cdrom/packages/lang
> # pkg_add perl-5.00401.tgz
> # mv /usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/perl.org
> # ln -s /usr/local/bin/perl /usr/bin/perl
>
> Why is /usr/bin/perl version 4.0?

Because Perl 5 is not backward compatible in various areas, and people
have scripts that depend on the old syntax, which break under the new
(gratuitously changed for no good reason) syntax.

The scripts need to be changed, preferrably by the perl maintainers,
the better to teach them to either avoid syntax changes and/or think
about the problems the language needs to solve before implementing
syntax which will later need to be changed because it wasn't Von Neumann
complete.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---