Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 05:16:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>, "Freebsd.questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Hylafax;uucp & dialer permissions.

On Sun, 28 Jan 1996, Donald Burr wrote:

> All you yave to do is edit /var/spool/fax/etc/config.cuaa1.  Find a line
> that starts with "DeviceMode:" and if one exists, change it's value to
> 0666, otherwise if a line like that doesn't exist, just add one:
>
> DeviceMode:	0666

Ack.  This is not good.  Please DO NOT LISTEN to what I have said
here, this could (at the least) cause unexpected behavior and (at
the most) create a security hole.  0666 allows read/write for ALL
permissions, which is not good (unless you want ever Joe Average
User to read to or write from you modem port).  DeviceMode 0660 should be
sufficient (allows read/write for owner and group, NOTHING for world).

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 / FAX 564-2315 / WWW http://www.geopages.com/WallStreet/2072
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or on Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **