Date:      Fri, 11 Nov 2016 11:29:21 +0100
From:      "John W. Kitz" <John.Kitz@xs4all.nl>
To:        <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: How to change MAC address on RPI-B?

> I saw a couple of emails whizz by, which discussed how to override the
> burned in MAC address (BIA) on an RPI-B.

Do you saw them at this mailing list? Maybe I should have a look into the
archive?

JKi: I meant your emails and they whizzed by because I had already deleted
the first couple of ones in this thread from my email box by the time I
decided that I was going to respond to them. So, as it happens, yes, I had
to go to the archives to look them up. Actually I've been following this
email distribution since late 2015 because I'm hoping to, at some point in
time, use FreeBSD on an ARM platform for HAM radio purposes. Consequently I
think it's quite nice to see that with 11.0 the developers released the
first FreeBSD images specifically aimed at various ARM architectures.

> techniques, i.e. overriding the BIA of a NIC and configuring a NIC
> into promiscuous mode, was made while such a dependency does not or at
> least, to the best of my knowledge, should not exist.

That's true, if you try this in Linux, you could use one of both techniques.
You can override the MAC on boot or set the MAC on runtime.
And this works on the fly.

> have a NIC consider frames that aren't destined for the NIC's BIA
> address as if they were, so I doubt that such a need exists today.

Normally you shouldn't use the promiscuous mode for this. You only need it,
if you use some kind of sniffing software for the whole network traffic,
etc.

Best regards,