Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 23:38:56 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, schimken@cs.rpi.edu, crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: Repeatable kernel panic for 3.2-RELEASE NFS server

>     Another possibly re: debugging.  If you compile up a kernel with
>     options DDB and options BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER, the kernel will break into
>     DDB when the panic occurs.  You can then issue a 'trace' command to get
>     a backtrace.
>
>     This may be good enough to determine what the problem is because
>     the cause of a 'lockmgr: locking against myself' panic tends to be
>     entirely contained within the current stack trace.
All my kernels are now DDB kernels :)  But since I do almost all of
my work remotely they are DDB_UNATTENDED, and the machine I am panic-ing
is not on the serial console server (sorry).  I do have another question
about DDB, I unstalled -STABLE as of today (from releng3.fre...) and I
compiled the kernel with DDB, and DDB_UNATTENDED per usual.  Now when I
C-A-E to get into the debugger and type 'panic' it drops me at another
debugging prompt.  If I type panic from that I get the real thing, any ideas?

My next email will hopefully have the stack trace for this panic.
--
David Cross                               |  email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Systems Administrator/Research Programmer |  Web: http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~crossd