Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 19:07:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Travis Campbell <hcoyote@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
To:        mykes@sportsextra.com (Mike Schwartz)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange installation problem

I've recently run into this same problem on a 486dx2 66mhz machine.

Hardware:

486dx2 66Mhz on a no name motherboard.
Buslogic 445c.
Trident 9400Cxi (VLB)
Conner 1.08gig SCSI hard drive.
Sony 2x CDROM
Chinon 2x CDROM
NE2000 clone Ethernet card.
SoundBlaster 3.2
Hayes 28800 modem.
16 megs RAM.

I've tried both the "old" and the "new" 2.2.2 boot floppies, as well as
a boot floppy from the RELENG_2_2 branch.  No dice.  The machine still
hangs on "Booting the kernel".

boot:
Booting 0:fd(0,a)kernel @ 0x279000
text=0x125000 data=0x0 bss=0xa00 symbols[+0x600+0x4+0x270+0x4+01f4]
total=0x39f46c entry point=0x279000
Uncompressing kernel...done
Booting the kernel

At this point, it hangs.

I know the system works with 2.2.2 kernels, as long as they're custom
compiled.  (The GENERIC kernel on the CD failed as well).

Any clues on solving this would be appreciated.

Travis
--
T r a v i s C a m p b e l l                         hcoyote@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
            "Yeah, but you're taking the Universe out of context!"

 -- Reply Transcript --