Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 1998 16:57:11 +1030
From:      "Norman Hoy" <normh@aone.com.au>
To:        "John Kelly" <jak@cetlink.net>, <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail - low on space

Yes but the problem that I have with putting any highly
variable file system on a partition is the inability
of UFS to expand. Once the system out grows
your "allowance" you must then rebuild your hdd.

but if you have /var as a separate hdd (even an old 520M/b)
when it is getting full you just mount and build another
/var under say /mnt then shutdown remove old hdd
put new hdd in its place (say 1G/b) and away you go
again. All of this depends on you putting /var on its own
hdd in the first place otherwise you have to edit
the /etc/fstab file to put /temp on say sd3s1 instead
of sd0s3.

making life very easy to grow your variable file systems.

and that was where this thread started once a FS is full
how can you grow it painlessly and quickly.

answer when you first install keep the /var on its own hdd

my opinion only.

regards

  Norman