Date:      Mon, 05 May 2003 17:43:27 -0400
From:      "Jesse D. Guardiani" <jesse@wingnet.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   ideal laptop recommendations?

Howdy list,

I'm in the market for a new laptop to replace
my developer workstation.

I've seen a ton of great looking laptops out
there lately, but I know from experience that
when running UNIX, you buy the hardware for
the OS, not the other way around.

I'm just wondering if the list can make some
recommendations that might fit my needs.

Price is not really that big of a factor for
me as long as it's competative. I'm a
developer. I spend more time on my computer
than I do anywhere else, so I want something
that I'll be happy with for a long time.
However, my first choice, an Apple Powerbook
G4 17" _is_ a bit too rich for my blood.

Here are the features I'd really like to
have in a laptop, but not necessarilly in
any particular order:

 1.) decently fast (2ghz) so I can compile
     things quickly
 2.) 512MB DDR RAM
 3.) Geforce 4
 4.) Compact Flash card reader (is FreeBSD
     even capable of using these??)
 5.) 10/100 Ethernet (duh)
 6.) Great Power management support
 7.) 15" or larger screen (don't care about res)
 8.) CDRW/DVD
 9.) Wireless support (don't really care how fast)
10.) I want all the keys on my keyboard to work. :)

OK ok, I know that is a lot of stuff and
I'm picky! But does anyone know of a laptop
that has all of this AND it all works under
FreeBSD?

Thanks!

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator