Date:      Fri, 03 Jul 1998 11:02:41 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Nguyen HM (Mike)" <NguyenHM@ucarb.com>, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: How to make (build)world go faster

> trick, I only have one disk, but /usr/src is mounted from another
> system). I haven't been able to go below 4hrs or so. I have a P2/233,
> Asus P2L97S, 128mb of RAM, and a Seagate ST15150W (original Barracuda).

My P100 ASUS board with only 48 MByte RAM and some Seagate IDE hard-
disk takes about 5 hours with src and obj on the same disk.  I didn't
exactly time it.  Just noted I start it at about tea time and it's
finished at about 9 o'clock in the evening.

I put the compiler options "-O -pipe" into /etc/make.conf (as someone
else noted on the list) due to reading it on the make world WWW pages.
Nothing else changed for performance.  The next thing I'll try is
using an async filesystem with mount option noatime for obj now that I
have room for that on a new harddisk.

I'd expect a system with much faster processor, more memory and faster
harddisk to be far better than mine.  Maybe the remote /usr/src is
slowing it a bit down, too.

It might be worth to try it with local /usr/src and see if that is
faster.  For a first impression buildworld till a certain point in the
process and comparing the performance will do.

> I am running X, but I don't do anything else on the system while the
> build is going on.

I just do a buildworld with the processes so nice that they just eats
up idle time and do some work meanwhile.  Nothing which uses much CPU
for long periods, though.

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.