Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:22:36 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Paul Murphy <pnmurphy@cogeco.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, KDE FreeBSD List <kde-freebsd@lists.csociety.org>
Subject:   Re: CUPS dependency in KDE packages

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 10:08:57PM -0500, Paul Murphy wrote:

><rant>
> What's the big deal with CUPS anyway? Why does it have to be a part of
>KDE at all! If there is a port for CUPS then those who need it know where
>to get it, those who don't need (want) it shouldn't have it rammed down
>their throats. It seems like someone has a vested interest keeping
>KDE+CUPS and making the ports system jump through hoops to make it
>work.</rant>

Easy, now ....

The whole problem he (Brian) had was because he's using old packages
(an old *version*, 2.2.1, even) from long before we split cups up.

If cups support (*libraries* *only*) is not compiled into kdelibs,
then persons who use cups cannot do so without building kdelibs from
ports.

If cups support (*libraries* *only*) *is* compiled into kdelibs, then
persons who want cups can use it, and it has *no* *effect* whatsoever
on those who don't.

So yes, there is an interest in including it. If it's kept in, it
doesn't bother anybody who doesn't want it. It it's taken out, it
inconveniences those who do want it. (And I'm not even making any
value judgements over whether it is a better printing system, because
they are not relevant to the discussion.)

The bottom line is: Use current ports and/or packages.

Ranting about a problem that we fixed a month ago doesn't do anybody
any good.

--
Alan Eldridge
Pmmfmffmmfmp mmmpppppffmpmfpmpppff PmpMpmMpp ppfppp MpfpffmppmppMmpFmmMpm