Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 17:13:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, crypt0genic <crypt0genic@ecad.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:

> > :	Good point but I think it's like how much of 100Mhz a 100BaseTX
> > :can push.  If it pushes 100%, then it might be wise to have a little more
> > :room for overhead.  Kinda like a car, better to have reserve power when
> > :you need it then pushing it to the max.  In regards to 1000BaseT, I
> > :thought there was no standards for that yet, atleast all the Gigabit stuff
> > :is all fiber and not copper.  Quality of cable does matter, atleast in
> > :high-end audio/video it does and I'm sure data would be more picky than
> > :human ears.
> >
> >     The copper gigabit standard isn't out yet, but I was under the impression
> >     that they were pretty close.
> >
> >     In regards to audio/video verses ethernet, you have to remember that
> >     audio and video are *analog*, not digital.  The cable quality matters
> >     for analog, but it only needs to be "good enough" for digital.  If you
> >     don't get any bit errors (and you shouldn't) then a better cable is not
> >     going to make a difference.
>
> One of the big deals with the different grades of cable is the degree of
> crosstalk between the transmit and receive pairs in the cable sheath.
> When you're talking about Category-3 or Category-5 cable systems, this
> INCLUDES the connectors, patch panels, cross-connect blocks and cross-connect
> cables.

	Yep, everything in the chain counts.

> For instance, you have to work pretty hard to do better than 10Base-T
> with a Category-3 wiring system if you have type 66 punch blocks
> because of the impedence bump and crosstalk issues.  Same sort of things
> apply at 100base-T and Category-5 cable systems.  Using gold-plated
> "Monster Cable" is just pissing away money of the other components are
> also up to the same level of "quality"  (har, har).

	I wouldn't rate Monster Cable as really high quality since it
seems like their stuff is more marketing then the true value.

> And, as Matt said, if you're not getting CRC errors then it's good
> enough, and there's no point spending money to get better wire.

	I know, I'm just wondering how did they get more frequency out of
wire of the same size.  I can understand it if the wire was a larger
guage.

> louie
> (who uses #12 ROMEX cable for speaker wire.)

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]