Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:51:41 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
To:        Richard Coleman <richardcoleman@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: status of nsswitch.conf in current?

--LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 10:40:32AM -0400, Richard Coleman wrote:
> I saw that.  I guess my question is whether a default nsswitch.conf file=
=20
> will be checked into /etc and /usr/share/examples/etc, or whether it=20
> will be left empty?  I would expect that if this capability was working,=
=20
> that a default nsswitch.conf would be checked into /etc.
>=20
Adding /etc/nsswitch.conf with the default settings would just slow the
things down.  For the same reason, we don't provide /etc/resolv.conf by
default.  Adding src/share/examples/etc/nsswitch.conf and installing it
in /usr/share/examples/etc/ is a good idea.

> Many admins=20
> may not know the system has this capability unless they see a copy of=20
> nsswitch.conf in /etc.
>=20
Many admins should learn how to consult with the release notes then.  ;-)

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software Ltd,