Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:58:25 -0700
From:      Jack Twilley <jmt@twilley.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Issues with dual Opteron

--=-=-=

>>>>> "David" == David O'Brien <obrien@freebsd.org> writes:

Jack> I've got a dual Opteron box (ARIMA motherboard) with 2 3.06GHz

David> Impossible!  The fastest Opterons are model 250's, which are
David> 2.4 GHz.

You are correct.  I confused this box with another box which is
misbehaving under Windows.  My apologies.

Here's the relevant information about the CPUs:

CPU: AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 246 (2004.56-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0xf58  Stepping = 8
  Features=0x78bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2>
  AMD Features=0xe0500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,LM,3DNow+,3DNow>
real memory  = 2146893824 (2047 MB)
avail memory = 2061582336 (1966 MB)
ACPI APIC Table: <PTLTD          APIC  >
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
 cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
 cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1

Jack> It hangs silently within twenty minutes of being started.

David> If you're really running them at 3.06 GHz, you're over clocking
David> them; then no wonder you're hanging.  But then again, I know
David> you can't OC an Opteron to 3.06 GHz.

It can run indefinitely under no load.  Twenty minutes tops of
actually doing anything (like "make buildworld") and poof!  The silent
hang shows up nowhere in the logs.

David> -- -- David (obrien@FreeBSD.org)

Jack.
--