Date:      Thu, 09 May 2002 12:15:05 +0200
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        vanilla@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: mod_perl-1.26

Hi,

I installed www/mod_perl and got a warning during configuration:
--- BEGIN
Your Perl is uselargefiles enabled, but Apache is not, suggestions:
    *) Rebuild mod_perl with Makefile.PL PERL_USELARGEFILES=0
    *) Rebuild Apache with CFLAGS="-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64"
    *) Rebuild Perl with Configure -Uuselargefiles
    *) Let mod_perl build Apache (USE_DSO=1 instead of USE_APXS=1)
--- END

Due a conversation with "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru> he found out,
this is a wrong assumption of mod_perl. The code sequence in the Makefile.PL:
--- BEGIN
sub uselargefiles_check {
    return unless $] >= 5.006 and $Config{uselargefiles}
      and $PERL_USELARGEFILES and $USE_APXS;
    local $Apache::src::APXS = $WITH_APXS;
    my $cflags = Apache::src->new->apxs('-q' => 'CFLAGS') || '';
    return if $cflags =~ /LARGEFILE/;

    phat_warn(<<EOF);
--- END

I grep'ed the entire perl source and the system-includes, the "local"-includes
and the kernel sources for "LARGEFILE" and "FILE_OFFSET_BITS" - nothing appropriate.

So I think it's time to think about the sense of this warning on FreeBSD > 4.5
(I checked 4.5 and 4.6 PRE).

Kind regards,
Jens Rehsack
--
L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
L        W     W     W