Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 2021 20:20:33 +0200
From:      Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: State of LibreSSL in FreeBSD ports

--ylm3ubk7nj6fxpsc

On Sun, Oct 03, 2021 at 04:16:54PM +0200, Felix Palmen wrote:
> Is LibreSSL in FreeBSD ports
>=20
> * supported, so ports should build with it if at all possible?
> * supported on a "best effort" base, so setting a port BROKEN is
>   acceptable if maintaining (working) patches would be too much hassle?
> * NOT supported at all, so random build failures with LibreSSL are fine?

I'd say the third option, the only *SSL variant that is guaranteed too
work is using the base system OpenSSL, using anything else is bound to
hurt and segfault at one point or the other.

This is because your software will have linking with one library from
the base system that brings OpenSSL, and some other library that links
with ports OpenSSL or LibreSSL, and the software calls one function that
is in both.

At that point, it is a variant of the russian roulette, but with about a
half and half chance of the function called being resolved to the wrong
library.

--=20
Mathieu Arnold

--ylm3ubk7nj6fxpsc