Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:14:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kurt Joseph Windisch <kurtw@uoregon.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, kurtw@antc.uoregon.edu
Subject:   Messed up boot MBR? Boot loaders failing

Here's the problem:  BootMgr or any other boot loader I've tried
(incl. OS-BS) crashes the system and restarts anytime I select my
FreeBSD partition for booting.  Furthermore, the standard windows boot
loader (reinstalled with fdisk /mbr) ALSO crashes! (whereas I can start
windows okay from BootMgr)

Some Background:  Naturally, it didn't just start this out of the
blue...here's the twisted tale.  I run windows95 and Freebsd on this
system.  I recently reinstalled freebsd, upgrading it to 3.2 from 2.6.
In doing so I wiped the old freebsd partition and recreated it for 3.2.
After doing this, and having everything work fine, I let my windows
virus scanner (Norton) "repair" my modified MBR for the drive and the boot
record for C: (this was the big mistake).  Now windows will only boot
from BootMgr (not it's own MBR) and Freebsd will only boot from a boot
disk.

Can anyone take a stab at this?  I suspect that my partition tables in the
MBR are now somehow wrong but, if this is the case, I don't know how to
restore them without wiping my freebsd partition.

Please address responses to me personally, as well as the list.

Thanks a lot!